Monday, February 25, 2008

Life in Prussia is changing as big cities grow

Dear Journal,
As a member of the working class in Prussia, the divide between the classes is most apparent to me. I am a domestic servant to an aristocratic family- the richer are getting more money and the poor are becoming poorer. It seems any money we do get my husband drinks away at the pub with his friends. We don't even have time for church anymore- no one seems to besides the wealthy. Although I cannot leave my job yet, a few of my friends have chosen to stay at home and be wives and mothers. Oh how I envy them. I worry constantly about my husbands whereabouts, it seems the prostitutes love him, or the other way around. Although I have no rights to speak up, it devestates me to know that there is an illegitimate child out there that belongs to him. I only hope the work of the feminist activists prevails. I can't live this life much longer.

Best,
Anne

No comments: