Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Otto von Bismark's Journal (chapter 25)

Dear journal,

Finally the Austro-Prussian war has ended! Although it was a short war, only seven weeks, it was extremely successful. I began this war because I wanted Prussia to control the northern part of Germany. This meant I had to expel Austria from German affairs. I knew after Austria and our joint victory over Denmark Austria had to see things my way or there would be war. Then finally, after neutralizing Russia and France the war began. By utilizing railroads to mass troops and the breechloadng needle gun, we defeated Austria at the Battle of Sadowa. Then, after a generous offer on my part, Austria agreed to withdraw from German affairs. Although Austria did not have to pay reparations, nor give us land, I believe we received something much more important. The success of Prussia in this war will lead to my fundamental goal, to expand Prussia.
I am thrilled we have won this war and know that Prussia has much expansion in its future. It has been a long day journal. I went to the pub and drank heavily, and so I leave you with these words, "The great questions of the day will not be decided by speeches and resolutions, but by blood and iron."

Sincerely,
Otto Von Bismark “master of politics”

No comments: